Molecular hydrogen is the subject of over 350 peer-reviewed articles published in scientific journals and has shown therapeutic health benefits for over 100 disease conditions.
You can read about some of these scientific studies here on the Molecular Hydrogen Institute website.
There are many different methods of benefiting from hydrogen, but the initial research suggests that the easiest and most effective way is to drink hydrogen-rich water.
Therapeutic hydrogen water can be produced by using water ionizer systems, adding hydrogen tablets to water, or bubbling hydrogen gas into water.
What Is Molecular Hydrogen?
Hydrogen is the simplest and lightest element and consists of one proton and one electron. It exists mainly in the diatomic form as molecular hydrogen (H2) gas.
The single hydrogen atom, or atomic hydrogen (H), is neutral and has an unpaired electron. It is a highly unstable free radical.
Water ionizers produce atomic hydrogen by way of ionization. These atoms then immediate react with other hydrogen atoms to form molecular hydrogen molecules (H2), which are stable and anti-oxidizing.
The Ten Reasons Are:
- Improves skin/fights aging– Molecular hydrogen is considered a novel antioxidant for combating oxidative damage in skin and promoting a youthful appearance. Japanese subjects showed significant improvements in neck wrinkles after bathing in H2 for 90 days.
- May help prevent diabetes– In a 2011 study, scientists tested the effects of drinking hydrogen-rich water in 30 patients with Type 2 diabetes. The patients drank 4 cups of hydrogen water each day for eight weeks. The condition of the patients generally improved and several showed no symptoms of the disease.
- May battle cancerous tumors– Elevated rates of reactive oxygen species (ROS), collectively known as oxidative stress, have been detected in almost all cancers, where they promote many aspects of tumor development and progression. Molecular hydrogen tends to erase the oxidative stress underlying tumor growth.
- Fights autoimmune disease– Because of its ability to decrease excessive free radicals, H2 can conceivably help battle lupus (SLE) and other autoimmune diseases.
- Reduces pain associated with rheumatoid arthritis– Rheumatoid arthritis is a chronic inflammatory disease characterized by the destruction of bone and cartilage. A Japanese study proved that “Consumption of water containing a high concentration of molecular hydrogen reduces oxidative stress and disease activity in patients with rheumatoid arthritis.”
- Corrects DNA damage– Wunder says H2 “corrects DNA damage in the cell’s mitochondria.” This would appear to be backed up by a study published in the July issue of the International Journal of Radiation Biologythat concluded that “H2 exerts significant protection against radiation-induced DNA base damage.”
- Combats allergies– An allergic reaction is an immune reaction when the immune system overreacts to a molecule thinking it’s infectious. H2 calms this reaction.
- Helps reduce fat– Drinking molecular hydrogen infused water decreases levels of plasma glucose, insulin, and triglyceride, similar to the effect of diet restrictions.
- Improves cognitive function– Due to its ability to easily cross the blood-brain barrier, molecular hydrogen may assist the well being of those with.In rat models of Alzheimer’s disease, H2 prevented neuro inflammation and improved memory.
- Faster sports injury recovery– May have the potential to improve athletic performance and recovery. A 2012 study concluded, “Adequate hydration with hydrogen-rich water pre-exercise reduced blood lactate levels and improved exercise-induced decline of muscle function.”